Thursday, 5 April 2012

Regime Classification Exercise: The Big Guns


POLS209 Regime Classification Exercise
The Big Guns:
Camilla Klyvø
Wilson O’Fee
Mikayla Kojis
Janell Selvam
Joel Hingston
Letitia Wright
Is there a correlation between state control and economic growth?

In our working process with the regime classification exercise we have decided to work with the notion of state control using political variables to define an index in which the ultimate low point indicates absolute state control in all aspects and the ultimate high point indicates the highest level of political freedom.

The index works with 9 questions that will help establish a specific country’s position on the either state power or political freedom on the y-axis.

Each question adds a value of +1, 0 or -1, where + values add level of political freedom and –values add level of state control. The value 0 is given on the basis of uncertainty or lack of data.

The initial question has no value and is meant to eliminate countries without central government in order to prevent the distorting of the final findings. Countries without a central government will remain at 0.

The next step is to compare a country’s index value to the annual percentage of GDP growth in any given year.

The aim of this comparison is to discover any patterns between the level of state control and economic growth. Subsequent questions may then be asked to investigate why certain countries with a high level of state control have a significantly higher economic growth than other countries.

Points:
No = -1
Yes = +1
Unsure/no data = O

1. Is there a central government?                                                                  N/Y (No pt. value)
2. Are there elections?                                                                                    N/Y/U
3. Are the elections competitive?                                                                   N/Y/U
4. Are the elections free from corruption?                                                     N/Y/U
5. Is there universal suffrage?                                                                        N/Y/U
6. Are policy decisions open to influence outside of the ruling party?          N/Y/U
7. Is there media access?                                                                                N/Y/U
8. Is there a media institution free from state influence?                             N/Y/U
9. Is there a judicial body?                                                                              N/Y/U
10. Is the judicial body independent of state influence?                                N/Y/U

Examples:
Russia:
Y,Y,Y,N,Y,U,Y,Y,Y,N
5 points
GDP Growth 2010: 4.0
China:
N,N,N,N,N,Y,Y,Y,N
-3 points
GDP Growth 2010: 10.4
Greece:
Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y
9 points
GDP Growth 2010: -6.0


Sources:
http://www.eiu.com/Default.aspx
POLS209 Course Materials
 



12 comments:

  1. Good questions! However, if we are thinking about "state control" shouldn't you ask also about whether the state controls economic resources (eg., what percentage of the economy is in state hands)? Or whether it controls the entire territory? (does the state face an insurgency that controls part of the territory, for example?). Or whether the state enforces some explicit ideology?

    Consider also a couple of cases like Colombia or Somalia. Do you get a good handle on these two using this system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is a bit more complicated than the others, but I like it. It goes more into depth about the nations rather than the simple criteria that everyone else seems to have used

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that index seems to have a lot of potential, but I think it could also do with a couple more indicators of state control like maybe broadening the question about "media access" to "civil liberties" so that it encompasses the broader ideas of freedom of speech, freedom of association etc. Or maybe even make that an entirely new question? To me, these ideas that are extremely relevant to the level of state control.

    I am also unsure about question 6 where you ask if policy decisions are open to outside influence. Maybe I have misunderstood the question, but it many cases, wouldn't it be a negative thing to have policy decision open to outside influence. Yes, it goes against state control, but few would argue that the influence of the military or of drug cartels (like in Colombia I think)indicates high levels of political freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could add this in. I'm not sure what the others think but it could just be an oversight.

      It probably could be worthwhile adding your factors/questions into our overall model.

      Delete
  4. I really like this system, the only thing that seems in some way unnecessary is the first question. If it's a points based system, having the first question be worth no points makes it a redundant question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first question seems necessary to deal with cases like Somalia or Syria. So that takes those countries out of consideration, since their political situation would be different from countries that do have a government, no?

      Delete
    2. We assigned that question no number value as it would then distort the final figures. We spent a lot of time debating this exact issue

      Delete
  5. I think that this system is really well thought out and planned. The questions seem to fit in with each other nicely and it is easy to understand and follow. However, I am just wondering if you could expand on question 5? Could you perhaps add a question in which is focused on human rights as well? I think that this would help categorise the countries more easily and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H, Um we were trying to keep it relatively simple. This question was something we could have expanded on but eventually just ran out of time.

      If we get to make changes to our system then we could probably expand it in this area.

      Delete
  6. I really like this classification system. It's simple yet covers most of the questions needed to be asked in order to see what kind of government we are dealing with or what degree of control a ruler or group has over the government and the state's people. Two things to think about I guess would be, like Xavier said, about the economic aspect of things. Does the government control the majority of services and products provided for/to the people? like in China or has privatisation been encouraged? A bit like in New Zealand with the privatisation of Telecom. I also think maybe you could include some definitions, such as what constitutes corruption in elections?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the focus question as economic growth is an important part of determining whether a country has development and market freedom. It is interesting to see if nations with higher state intervention have lower economic growth or vice versa. I do believe however that state control needs to be defined. Most nations have state control in aspects of their economy but what particular aspects (exports, imports etc) and also to what degree is this control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can agree with all the criticism to our system. Definitely some things to take into consideration if we get to work more on it! Especially the economical aspect of state control and the fact that most liberal democratic countries have state control to some extent which our system doesn't really take into account. I was personally concidering it when we worked with it, but I couldn't really figure out how to come up with a solution and then we kind of ran out of time :)

    ReplyDelete