Sunday, 3 June 2012

Me and my Important Reckons

The structure of this course got me thinking about the value of people’s, and my, opinions. In this age, the internet is in effect a massive forum allowing anybody and everybody to rant, to rage and to express their opinions about absolutely anything. Indeed, I am being entirely hypocritical by doing just that on a blog, albeit one with rather low internet traffic. Thus, my reckons are more than likely going to be ignored and swept under the carpet. And probably rightly so.

Do they matter? After all, the sole reason that I am constructing this short diatribe is to fulfil the course requirements and gain my five per cent.

We value freedom of speech very highly in our Western democracy. And how do we express it? We write in blogs and leave comments to Youtube videos to give us a feeling that we have contributed somehow. We love to communicate, we humans, and social media and modern technology give us a brand new means of doing so. It does, however, seem futile and pathetic that we should have to convey our uninformed reckons as we attempt to find a sense of self-worth.

I have enjoyed this course thoroughly, and its assessment methods have certainly been novel. However, is online rambling really something to be encouraged?

I can now only apologise for wasting a few minutes of your life by expressing my own squalid opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure only Westerners value their "squalid" opinions, though?

    ReplyDelete