Some links for your reading pleasure:
- How Chineze netizens avoid censorship (relevant for this class!). (See also here.)
- Why Authoritarian Rule is not Russia’s Destiny.
- Understanding Xi Jinping’s titles.
- Pressures on the media in Egypt’s coming elections.
- Could there be a fascist takeover in the USA?
- Billionaires in China’s parliament.
- A good collection of short papers on China’s politics. I might add some of these to the list of recommended readings that people can do EBPs on!
- On Leopoldo Lopez, one of Venezuela’s main opposition politicians. (Fun fact - Leopoldo Lopez and I went to the same secondary school).
- More Venezuela: a good discussion of the historical roots of Venezuela’s political crisis, plus a good overview of the current political situation in Venezuela.
- Is the Chinese communist party a bit like a religious institution?
- The rise of competitive authoritarianism in Hungary
- I really enjoy the photo blog Everyday life in Maoist China.
- Some things I’ve written recently that are relevant to this class: on charismatic leadership, trends in levels of democracy around the world, on Stalin’s interventions in Soviet science and Utopianism in the Russian revolution, and on flattery in authoritarian regimes (with follow-up here).
Also, not really related to the course but of potential interest:
- Why it might be better to take notes by hand in class and attending lectures is probably good for your grades.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment