Last week in a UN meeting, US delegate Bethany Kozma (appointed by Donald Trump) made a statement that the "US is a pro-life country". This statement contradicts the fact that the law and popular opinion support the 'pro-choice' stance on abortion in the US. Further, Kozma and the US delegation expressed a desire to remove the phrase "modern contraceptives" and replace it with "family planning". This would push policies like abstinence-only contraceptive education.
Kozma was appointed by Donald Trump and is a senior adviser in the office of Gender Equality and Women's Empowering for US Agency for International Development (USAID).
Despite being a democratic regime, Trump's leadership has facilitated a louder and more powerful voice for the conservative fringes of public opinion. His presidency has been surrounded by extremely conservative notions similar to an ideological push in a totalitarian regime. Last week I wrote my EBP on an article comparing Hitler and Stalins leadership. The Author emphasised how Hitler's leadership gave a voice to ideas that had previously been quashed by society. I am not claiming Trump's regime is totalitarian- however, a similarity can be drawn between the ideologies a totalitarian regime promotes that may be contrary to the honest opinions of the majority of citizens, and the determination of the current US executive to push conservative notions.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-united-nations-womens-conference-pro-life-abortion-a8267691.html
I would be inclined to disagree that the law in the United States supports the pro-choice stance on abortion. Though abortion is legal, the actuality of gaining access to an abortion and state-specific technicalities such as mandatory waiting periods, ultrasounds, and counselling tend to reflect a stance much more in line with Trump and Kozma's pro-life opinion. Therefore I do not know if Trump and his administration's push of pro-life ideology are indeed giving voice to previously quashed ideas as, though this ideology is technically not supported by law, it has certainly not been operating on the fringes of society.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Phoebe that the reality of abortion law in the US isn't very pro choice. I do think, though, that public opinion is likely to be pro choice, but this is simply a notion I have because of my own opinion and my perception of general opinions in first world modern society. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found studies/surveys which reflect a general pro-choice (or pro-life) consensus of public opinion.
ReplyDeleteIn relation to the seemingly undemocratic practices of Trump, I think his erratic and strong personality type causes this. He makes statements (of personal opinion) that do not necessarily represent the opinion of the US in its entirety, but he poses it as though it is (perhaps this is related to his nationalistic stance?). He also seems to serve his own interests, rather than national interests, and either people agree or don't. This is as opposed to his decisions being dependent on what the public thinks.