Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Pathological Links

I haven't done one of these posts in a while. Here are some links to things that might be interesting for people in this course:

For more pathological links, see here.

2 comments:

  1. Great links! The Death Star one is very clever. I thought the starwars analogy worked well for discussing ideas from this course (security, dictator's dilemma, rebellion...). I guess it figures that political science academics would be sci fi fans.
    Also, I was just reading the piece on "Why China Will Democratise" and want to make sure I understand the "performance legitimacy" hypothesis. Is it basically the idea that if a non-democratic country's economy is growing/doing well, the population will be satisfied, and so the government will be safe from revolution/demand for democratisation and so "legitimised"? Reminds me of our discussion about Singapore in the benevolent autocrats lectures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith - the "performance legitimacy" idea is precisely what you mean: when governments are producing economic growth, the population will be satisfied and consider them to be "legitimate;" they will thus be less likely to rebel. The authors of the piece argue that there is less support for this thesis than it appears; they note that many authoritarian countries (Brazil, South Korea) democratized even while economic growth was high. The problem in part is that economic development has two different effects in authoritarian countries: first, it might lead people to become satisfied; but second, it might also lead them to feel confident enough to demand a say in the distribution of benefits.

    ReplyDelete