Friday, 1 June 2018

Nicaragua Protests

Hey guys

After staging our own revolution, and talking about protests in class today, I thought that I'd have a look at protests that are going on in the world at the moment for this weeks post. I found this article about protests against President Daniel Ortega going on currently in Nicaragua. Armed pro-government groups opened fire on groups of people protesting against proposed changes to the social security system. Relating to what we discussed in class about stages protests on significant days, the most recent of these demonstrations took place on Mother's Day as a commemoration of the lives that have already been lost in the conflict.

This article features a number of images of the protests, which gives a good overview of the events of the past month.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/05/a-month-of-anti-government-protest-in-nicaragua/561632/

1 comment:

  1. Cheers for the link, hadn't read anything about this myself.
    I find the protesters 'performances' interesting after our class discussions. Their use of symbols (blue and white flag colors), toppling of the governments symbolic 'tree of Life' structure and protest graffiti seem very typical after our chats about different rebelion techniques.
    It a shame there is so much violence when they seemed to have civil discussion and negotiation previously. I feel like the dictator has the upper hand with the police on his side. I guess time will tell, it will be interesting to follow.

    ReplyDelete