Friday, 11 May 2018

North Korea & US relations - for show?


Unsure whether this a step towards cooperation between the USA and North Korea or whether it is all for show? Trump’s tweets & reaction towards it claim their meetings were “proactive & that he’s delighted to bring home 3 Americans.” 

It looks like a gesture made to promote media speculation. Whether anything good will come out of their big meeting is another story. What do you think? 


2 comments:

  1. I feel as though this is maybe a sign that North Korea is willing to become less isolated and interact more with other countries. I see this act as an gesture of good-will in an attempt to foster good relations. This view may seem optimistic but North Korea has been in an incredibly weak position economically which has perhaps sparked a realisation that outside help is needed. I in no way think that this means North Korea is going to transition away from totalitarianism but it think this is an attempt to gain more international strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel quite sceptical about the relations between these two states, and often think that things like this are publicity stunts. However, as Emma states above, it is possible that in recent times North Korea is becoming more willing to cooperate internationally. It will be interesting to see how their behaviour changes in the near future.

    ReplyDelete