http://ideas.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/07/30/do_dictators_mellow_with_age
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23511403
An interesting theory that would be interesting to conduct more research on. Perhaps conducting various acts of violent suppression requires too much energy than a 95 year old man has. It would also be intriguing to expand the scope of the question and include all leaders in the question as well.
However, the real question in regards to the Zimbabwe elections is how peaceful the potential power translation will be.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think this is an interesting point because as we age and have new experiences our perceptions of the world change which are reflected in our thoughts/behaviours! I view both Gadaffi and Castro as at their most radical during their early years when they were both revolutionary leaders. I think there is a degree of uncertainty when it comes to young dictators, well for me anyway, in regards to Kim Jong-un as North Koreas new dictator. I'm wondering if he's going to be more spontanious or thereaening than his Dad ever was.
ReplyDelete