Hey I thought I'd post about the Syrian revolution because I'm interested in other peoples view on the topic. From the beginning I favored the revolutionaries (Free Syrian Army) because I understood the conflict as a fight to end autocratic rule by Assad and establish a democracy. What is your view? Now I don't know which side to support, if any. I've been losing support for the FSA for several reasons:
1. Islam extremist groups who originally had no ties with the FSA are now fighting Assad's army and gaining more influence than the FSA. One of these groups (The Al Nursa Front) is know to be affiliated with Al Qaeda.
2. These groups lay mines and IED's on roads and urban areas (targeting combatants and civilians alike)
3. Footage showing no structure or command of FSA/Al Nursa fighters. These fighters young, heavily armed, and I believe without proper military discipline are more threatening to civilians than the Assad regime ever was.
4. Articles like this http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e67_1358880988
I guess it kind of comes down to two questions. Do you support a group for the reasons behind the act (trying to end autocratic rule and establish democracy to free their people and create more equality, better living, human rights ect)? Or do you judge face value, look at the acts being committed and judge them for what you see, even if the acts you're seeing however horrible, are towards people who have time and time again treated those people as bad if not worse? Anyone gunning to establish democracy (in the "citizen of a consolidated democracy" type understanding of the word) gets my vote.
ReplyDelete*although i may not agree with their means, I like their idea of the end.