A blog for POLS 209, Dictatorships and Revolutions, at Victoria University of Wellington. A place for students to talk and think about political pathologies all over the world. This is our other blog - see also here
Friday, 6 September 2019
Coups
The current conversation in class has got me wondering about coups, how can a society overthrow a leader if the leader is entrenched in both the our media and our education. Anyway why do we even bother staging coups in our class, I feel as if its just cutting into our class time now(although I do find it amusing). I feel as if I need be seriously convinced of the benefits to overthrow our supreme ruler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
With his power, comes information. Remember, remember the 5th of November...
ReplyDeleteMusketeer - I'm glad the class prefers not to engage in revolutionary action!
ReplyDeleteIn real life, it's often much easier to go along with even very oppressive governments - collective action mobilizing substantial numbers of people is risky and hard to do, and most people find it difficult to participate.
We'll talk more about why people join rebellions later in the term.