In the simulation in Tuesday’s class I couldn’t help
but notice that there was a certain amount of anarchy and disorganization.
The
role Nik played of dictator was well played, the issue being that it was just
that, a role. Although we were all playing into the simulation the fact that
the class still looked to Xavier meant that Nik was unable to gain full and
total control in the way a dictator would.
With chaos ensuing in the form of
coups and lawless of lolly stealing and jail breaking, there was not enough
motivation or actual oppression for political parties to form and create a
platform.
This draws me to the conclusion that this may also be the case in
countries where there is no clear leader, or no respect for the leader. This
could be seen in Scotland at various points in history as they have battled for
a Scottish leader that represents them.
This shows the negative effect of poor or weak leadership on the development
process of a country.
Yes I think you are right, government leaders have to express their power and have to be strong and able, otherwise it seems they are easily toppled or dictated by other outside interests.
ReplyDeleteTrue Debbie! It was not entirely intentional though. I think some people were a bit too enthusiastic, which made it difficult to lead the game through a specific set of scenarios that I had in mind. Seemed like at least some people were having fun, but the anarchic society made it a bit more like a society under anarchy than I expected. (There's a thread on the other politicalpathologies blog with some discussion of possible improvements)
ReplyDelete