Friday, 27 March 2009

Housework

Im not sure about anyone else, but i spent much of wednesday's lecture biting my tounge which is unusual for me! it was not that i did not nessacerily agree with what was being said, but i found some of the concepts difficult to grasp in todays society. Because of this I thought that I would define some of the key words in the lecture to help with my own (and hopefully others) understanding of the ideas.

Educated:–adjective
1.
having undergone education: educated people.
2.
characterized by or displaying qualities of culture and learning.
3.
based on some information or experience: an educated estimate of next year's sales.

Expert:–noun
1.
a person who has special skill or knowledge in some particular field; specialist; authority: a language expert.

When looking at these definitions I find it hard to grasp the ideas explored in wednesdays lecture. I know that they were based on Plato's ideas, but in Plato's society centuries ago, only the powerful and elite who had political knowledge where appreciated and valued within society. Worksmen or labourists where considered to be of a lesser being, those who were there purely to do the work of the elite. Now I truly believe as a world as a whole this ideal has changed dramatically and that we in general value all individuals and appreciate everyones knowledge equally. Although just like anyone else I find looking at historical sources useful to know how things have developed over time, I think that trying to apply Plato's ideas about democracy to modern society is pointless and very near impossible.

Who are we to deem who is "educated" and who may be an "expert." Times change and i like to think that we have the ability to change with them.

1 comment:

  1. Char, doctors are experts in medicine, no? And plumbers in plumbing, and masons in masonry. Why not say that there are people who are experts in politics? You wouldn't call your lawyer to cure you of cancer, or your doctor to represent you in a lawsuit?

    As to whether "we" value everyone's knowlege equally, I'm not sure what you mean by that. It is certainly not the case in many parts of the world. And do "we" really believe that? We may certainly believe that people are equally worthy of consideration, but not that everyone knows the same!

    ReplyDelete