Thursday, 12 March 2009

Russia and Elections

What I found very interesting in Xavier's second lecture on What is a Dictatorship? was his conclusion that dictatorships usually have at least one thing in common- corrupt elections. I agree with Xavier's idea that fair and free elections are key to a democracy and I would go as far to say that it is the most important institution to have in a democracy.
One of the definitions of dictatorship Xavier gave was a state where challengers to the political leadership face very large "barriers to entry" ( adapted by Casey Williams). He gave the example that Putin's Russia make it very difficult to oppose the current party in elections- suddenly the opposer is accused of unpaid tax.
I began to ponder on this very innovative way of keeping power... do the citizens of Russia really believe that these people running for opposition are all actually criminals? Or are they totally oblivious to what is going on?
I would find it interesting to hear whether they do believe the current government are doing good for Russia finding these potential criminals and coincidently potential opposition. And if they do believe this then why? Is it the lack of education in Russia? Or do they simply not care?
Either way I feel that Putin has a very interesting hold of power on Russia and would definantly one to watch in the future especially concerning elections.

7 comments:

  1. The Russian government (or whoever is calling the shots) run a very efficient propaganda campaign.

    I recall reading an article (which one and from what source, I cannot remember, sorry) that the average Russian thought that their economy was in good shape and that it was the West (particularly the United States and the UK) that were facing a severe economic recession. In reality, the Russian economy is faring worse. Indeed, Russian media were reporting that the Queen was pawning her jewelery and that distressed people were jumping in the Thames.

    It is not apathy nor a lack of education among the Russian citizenry but an excellent (if that's the right word) propaganda campaign by the Russian government.

    Again, I cannot remember the source, but I read this in the Dominion Post - the article itself was taken from an newspaper from overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Either way I feel that Putin has a very interesting hold of power on Russia and would definantly one to watch in the future especially concerning elections.'

    I agree, Russia seems to be in a slide back towards the Soviet era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with Char_Olsen concerning your hypothesis that a free and fair election is the most important institution in a Democracy. Although free and fair elections are important it seems to me that an open and free media is more imporatant for a democracy because it offers all members a voice.

    Free and fair elections allow people to nominate candidates into government, yet even in democratic countries such as NZ, there are age limits to vote and become an MP. Further more, countries such as Lebanon and Saudi Arabia do not allow women to vote. Lebanon is an interesting example as it is compulsary for men to vote but women are only elligible to vote if they have proof of an education. Despite this condition, Lebanon technically allows women to vote, which constitutes free and fair elections; making it a democracy.

    In contrast, an open and free media allows people of all ages and genders to interact with the government through open discussion and the right to a free opinion through newspapers, radio, television and the internet. An open and fair media allows debate between the government and the masses, and publicised personal expression.

    Could this be the more important institution for a democracy, rather than free and fair elections?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But how can you have a free and open media without firstly having elections and therefore creating a democracracy... I would argue that (with exceptions) a free media rarely exists in a country that isn't a democracy. For this reason alone I would agree that elections are more important as they are the first step...free and open media being perhaps the second step

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Casey Mulligan not Casey Williams (just in case).

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Lebanon, how do the women have to prove that they have an educational background?
    Is it just university certification, or do trades and such count as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good points.

    Juan J. Linz - democracy involves the "legal freedom to formulate and advocate political alternatives...free and non violent competition among leaders with periodic validation of their claim to rule; inclusion of all effective political offices in the democratic process; and provision for the participation of all members of the political community, what ever their political preferences"

    "freedom to create political parties and to conduct free and honest elections at regular intervals without excluding any effective political office from direct or indirect electoral accountability"

    Wilde on democracy - "the provision of regular institutional mechanisms for obtaining consent and permitting change of political personnel (normally elections)"

    Heywood - "a form of government in which the people rule themselves directly and continuously.."

    democracy = 'rule by the people' (Greek: kratos- power/rule, demos - people/ poor/ many)

    from this I think that elections are the main requisite to a democracy because it is the most direct way citizens can exert influence over government; although I recognise that the media, local government bodies and the freedom to organise lobby groups or unions are also intrinsic in enabling people to rule themselves.

    ReplyDelete