Thursday, 28 May 2009

Cartoons on Democracy: Round II

Hi all: this is a reply to the cartoon posts about 8 or 9 down the page. I couldn't figure out how to post images in a reply to an initial thread, so you all get to enjoy the humour on the front page!

I know I will definitely be using the phrase from the first cartoon of the original post around people who blindly recommend democracy as the best system of government (perhaps blithely quoting Churchill as they do so).

Cartoons are always a great (and often humorous... occasionally just sad) way of getting one's message through to the masses. I have certainly seen some very funny ones in recent years. Take this one regarding Cheney and Bush's "beacon of democracy" crusade:



"Democracy on a New Planet"

I thought that was very apt. And on the more depressing side, I'm sure many of you would have seen Tom Scott's recent cartoon about Sri Lanka's plights. How about this sadly accurate portrayal of the situation of there:



On a more humorous note, the failure of democracy can most amusingly be conveyed through the cartoon medium:




I've noticed that people tend to discuss current issues more once it appears as a Tom Scott cartoon....

No comments:

Post a Comment