Thursday, 14 May 2009

Madagascar Election Promise

Madagascar's interim leader Andry Rajoelina has pledged elections by 2010, and will not run for election.

"I am not thirsty for power, I do not want to cling to power. I just want to bring democracy to Madagascar." Rajoelina said via diplomats in France. He has however stated that all former leaders will not be allowed to run in the election, a move aimed at preventing ousted President Ravalomanana from winning re-election. This has been met with mixed reactions, but the fact that Rajoelina has discussed a political solution is encouraging.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I also agree and also since he himself is not seeking election that I guess that somewhat(although not totally) justifies him not wanting the former President to run either. I guess hes saying its time for new people and leaders to lead his country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot depends on how the elections are ultimately run and what changes in the institutions of Madagascar are contemplated - it's possible to say "I will not run" and then change institutions so that real power is elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if former President Marc Ravalomanana continues to refuse to sign the agreement? Will he continue to claim to be the legitimate leader and divide the country politically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the impression Rajoelina says this so that in a way people will think he is doing a good deed. However, I believe he will still try to retain power in some other form. Could he in some way choose who is to run, so that the next President has the same ideas and is just like him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Nat, would Rajoelina have intentions of encouraging a successor of his choice who will continue his policies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah even if it not is techniclly democratic by banning him from elections, somethimes it is better than what is currently happening. I think Rajoelina would have considered this and realised being somehwat hypocritical is better than anything that is already goign on.

    ReplyDelete