So I've been following the Mt Albert bi-election, simply out of interest to see if Labour will be able to keep the stronghold- they've held the Mt Albert election for 60 years, which is pretty incredible. With much interest I've been watching this Melissa Lee debacle unfold.
Anyone who listens to Morning Report on RNZ National would have heard Melissa Lee blustering her way through an interview this morning, where she denied claiming that building a motorway through (as opposed to under) Mt Albert will "divert South Auckland criminals away from Mt Albert". After initially denying having said this, Lee later issued an "unreserved apology"- which, in my opinion is an admission of guilt. Key has said that Lee made a "silly" remark, and that going to the media about this is a typical election ploy.
Added to this is complaints laid to the Electoral Commission that Lee misused taxpayer's money to fund a promotional video for the National Party for last year's election, and it seems that John Key has chosen a slippery, but not particularly bright, character to stand for election in Mt Albert. Has she already become a liability to the Nats? What do you guys think?
I'll have my eye on how this all turns out!
hmmmm things aren't looking good for her evidentally. I mean, sure the media highlights South Auckland's less than favourable reputation but when a politician comes out and blatantly says a motorway will divert South Auckland criminals away from Mt Albert, they'll find it really does not win support and then some even start to bring out the race card which pushes her comments under an even worse light. I watched one guy on the news who was outraged at South Auckland being labelled as "criminal", however, I wouldn't blame Melissa Lee for that entirely. The media has done more than its fair share reporting a number of crimes which have occured in the area and thus helped fashion South Auckland's 'criminal' reputation. Sad as it is to say, but Melissa Lee only but foolishly voiced what I assume many New Zealanders believe about South Auckland and its crime rate thanks to the media creating such social discourse for the area.
ReplyDeleteBack on topic, this bi-election has garnered much attention, especially her I have noticed and as has been proven, the attention has not been doing favourably for her in this election. I expect it will be a miracle if she manages a victory, depending on how much better her opponents are. Only the results will tell..
Firstly im not sure exactly why her saying that the motorway would "divert South Auckland criminals away from Mt Albert". Living in Wainuiomata we get this kind of thing all the time and to me its not offensive and probably isn't offensive to the people of Mount Albert or the people of New Zealand as a whole...Hasn't this been blown a little bit out of proportion by a desperate Labour Party that is now doing anything for votes and media attention? For Labour to actually be struggling to win this seat is obviously a sign... I don't think she is a liability to the Nats but she should be careful not to put a bullseye on her back for the sliding opposititon critics(Nationsals 55% in the latest poll)...
ReplyDeleteConsidering Mt Albeit has been held by the same party for 60 years I would say there are a great number of loyal voters, who would vote the same no matter what. Maybe they did something to really annoy Mt Albeit residents this time, or maybe its all media hype. Melissa Lee just said what everyone already thinks. But of course no matter what politicians say there always seems to be someone ready waiting to criticize. As per usual it all comes down to how the media frame it to the public. I don't think she will be too much of a problem for National, as soon as the election is over everyone will go back to worrying about the recession. Nationals image at the moment is much more tied to how they handle the recession.
ReplyDeleteI think it was just a flip remark she made in the heat of the moment. John keys noted that it was just the heat of the moment and I mean she wasn't referring really to south aucklanders, she was referring to CRIMINAL south aucklanders.
ReplyDeleteI fail to see what the big deal is really...So she said something stupid? Don't we all? If anything she was speaking what she felt, good on her.
Enough of this P.C nonsense.
I have to agree with all of the above comments. Great to see the sentiment is sensible, that basically she said something that maybe politically wasn't overly helpfully, but was clearly a flippant remark that had no justification and needed no justification.
ReplyDeleteYesterday she was visiting Auckland University and clearly the Young Labs were out in force. What astounds me is what these people are doing in university and how they will get on in the real world having such one-eyed and one-minded opinions.
National simply isn't concerned by Mt Albert, if it was a general election then some of Melissa's actions may have hurt them. But Mt Albert is a true, old fashioned red seat, and who knows all of this may be some kind of masterful publicity campaign by the Nats to get some attention directed her way. Like the old adage says, no such thing as bad publicity....