Shengyao Sun (Darrick):
In terms of definitions, I'm probably clear on the difference between a democracy and a non-democracy, as well as a democracy and a dictatorship. To be fair, in theory, living in a democracy is safer, more accessible, more respected and happier than living in a non-democracy. But are all the theories realistic? Are all non-democratic countries, as defined by the West, necessarily bad? I am sceptical about this. To give an example comparing 'democratic' America and 'non-democratic' China, you can see the first-hand experiences of foreigners travelling to China by following a few links. In most cities in China, the streets are clean, the traffic is easy to get around, the people are very welcoming to foreigners, and most importantly, the law and order in China is reassuring, both in the morning and at night. There are no shootings here, and one has to feel scared to walk down the street fishing. Compared here with the big cities in the United States, especially at night, I am afraid it is the difference between heaven and hell. There are countless homeless people, drug addicts, vandals and robbers. I have lived in Canada and the US and have never dared to walk alone on the streets at night, especially in the centre of a big city. As you can imagine, people in these two countries will have different perceptions of public safety. And what's the point of discussing happiness and civil liberties if a country can't provide basic social security? So how is it that a country that claims to be a democracy is so bad.
In contrast, a 'non-democratic' country that it sneers at has an excellent social environment and can provide a sense of security and comfort to its people? Is it all a problem with the system, or is it the country's situation? Is there any point in pursuing a theoretical democracy if it does not provide its citizens security, comfort and happiness?
The point I am making is that we should not just pursue purely theoretical democratic systems and definitions, that we should formulate different policies and systems according to various national conditions, and that only a regime that can bring security and a sense of well-being to its citizens is exemplary. If only institutional democracy were achieved by neglecting the feelings and happiness of the inhabitants, then it would not be an exemplary democracy either.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
China:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tR60dT7SKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXk6mgHQ-N8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3Q-5fpaXI
USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zWAOMNNV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdpliqFZb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JteJcxrfIcU
Thanks Shengyao - looks like we have our first violation of the censorship rules here! And yes, other things matter too, not just democracy.
ReplyDeleteSorry about that,I did not mean it. I just the list of banned words. I will be careful next time.
Delete