This video popped up in my YouTube recommendations the other night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjFcTcWa4U&t=1104s
It contains discussion of China's exerting control over Hong Kong democracy. It also includes discussion of Hong Kong's suffrage and how candidates are elected. Considering how some are elected through electoral processes, others from certain areas such as education and others being nominated by corporations. I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of the video as I do not know too much about the subject not am I 100% certain of YouTube video essay maker's accuracy.
I thought it related to our discussions in class on authoritarianism this week, especially international factors and how they typically result from conflict. The conflict in this instance seems to be the relatively capitalist autonomous regime of Hong Kong which is completely at odds with the Chinese Communist Party.
Thanks for this Ben! How should we think f Hong Kong in the context of the different forms of multiparty authoritarianism discussed in class? (And yes, there's certainly conflict between the mainland and HK regarding the degree of autonomy HK should have etc.)
ReplyDelete