https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2gz7ky2weo
I came across this article this morning as I was scrolling through the BBC app and immediately thought of the POLS209 research question options. Another research question option sprung to mind: "Are democratic or non-democratic regimes better suited to handling natural disasters?"
My knowledge of non-democratic regimes' handling of natural disaster is not extensive. In fact, it is very limited. However, the prospect of a single, centralised government that does not have to deal with clunky bureaucracy appears, in theory, to be in a better position to respond adequately to a crisis than that of a democratic regime, where inefficiencies are inherent. From my perspective, it seems a non-democratic regime may have the upper hand.
I have never lived through a natural disaster, let alone a natural disaster in a non-democratic regime so any further thoughts on this would be appreciated.
LONG LIVE THE PARTY
No comments:
Post a Comment