Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Laws on Freedom

Afternoon All, Apologies for not being so active, this whole series of assignments due in the last week of term is not as fun as it could be. And then there is that course I signed up for, I thought it was called Economics of Work and Play, but its not. Its Economics of Work and Pay. A shame.

Anyhow, I know I said in a comment that I had an interesting idea, and left it at hmmmm. Well I did a bit of research on that hmmmm and changed my idea. Essentially I was planning on posting bits of legislation from around the world and then getting people to guess what kind of country (Totalitarian, Dictatorship, Liberal Democracy) these bits of legislation came from.

However assignments and Arsenal playing Man City got in the way, so instead I will make my point in my own words.

Most legislation is written in such a way that (to some degree or another) it is open to interpretation, criticism of a countries legislation because (if construed in a certain manner), it could result in limiting freedom is generally just alarmist.

Laws in Singapore against protest that may cause racial or religious disharmony, are just as severe as anti-terror laws in the USA and the UK. Laws in New Zealand are rather free and fair. Laws in China are restrictive, but so are those in Bhutan. You cannot judge the quality of a government from its legislation. Feel free to interpret legislation as you will, but before you start going nuts about one particular country, look at the legislation in all countries.*


*No lollipops today, but as far as I know, Martha's is still waiting for her with Xavier.

2 comments:

  1. Good point.

    One should look at how a certain piece of legislation is enforced, rather than just what it looks like on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe yeah. Perhaps I should have written that one line instead of my entire post, but oh well. I'm sure Xavier adds volume as well as quality into his points calculations *Touch wood*

    ReplyDelete