A blog for POLS 209, Dictatorships and Revolutions, at Victoria University of Wellington. A place for students to talk and think about political pathologies all over the world. This is our other blog - see also here
Thursday, 23 April 2009
PNAC
The Project for a New American Century have defined themselves as "a non-profit educational organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions: that American leadership is good both for America and for the world; and that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy and commitment to moral principle." This group of neo-conservatives consist of people such a Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld who crave nothing short of world domination by the USA. This is a dangerous think tank because it has greatly supported military expansion at cost to the average citizen. As far as fascism goes this is a very good example. The leaders were very influential within their party but were then shunned due to extreme idealogies that they promoted. The only way they could control things and maintain their sway in the political sphere is through their control in the military and their influence on president Bush. Luckily with Obama now in office this think tank has lost a lot of credibility but the thought that it still exists is scary. They were able to moblilize a large group of neo-conservative extremists for their cause, and shunned many people that called themselves "republicans" and "liberal cronies". Luckily, their credibility isn't so strong any more, and I hope that their quest of western expansionism is never realized.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Actually, the Project for a New American Century has been defunct since 2006.
ReplyDeletehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6189793.stm
Regardless, I'm not sure the term fascist is accurate; even labeling them 'extremists' seeking 'world domination' seems over-the-top.
If you compare the PNAC's Statement of Principles with the Obama Administration's foreign and defense policies, you will see some similarities.
The PNAC aims 'to make the case and rally support for American global leadership.' The PNAC also advocated an increase in defense spending and the modernisation of the US armed forces. (http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm.
The Obama Administration also emphasises American leadership in the world, even if it is a 'new era' of leadership. Like the PNAC they believe in 'renewing' alliances, although the current administration also believes in engaging hostile nations diplomatically (http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/foreign_policy/).
Indeed, 'President Obama and Vice President Biden will invest in a 21st century military to maintain our conventional advantage while increasing our capacity to defeat the threats of tomorrow' (http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/defense/).
I myself was surprised to see this continuity. But I think what really sunk the neo-conservatives was the absolute mess that the Bush Administration made in Iraq. I think that administrations of both parties believe in spreading democracy abroad; it seems that the Bush administration only emphasised the military might of the US and not other aspects that the neo-cons supported: 'diplomatic energy and commitment to moral principle.'
I'm simply playing the Devil's advocate here, I'm glad the neo-con era is finished... or is it?
Amir, can I just say that I am glad you are on this blog, not the other one. You make this so much more fun! Awesome well researched post by the way.
ReplyDeleteI think that after the infamous "end of history" quote, I'm never going to claim anything is finished ever again. I mean you can't even claim the rule of the dinosaurs is over what with genetic engineering! For all we know we could have a Jurassic Park situation on our hands any time now.
Funny you should mention the 'End of History' - Francis Fukuyama, the author of that article and book, was involved with the Project for the New American Century. Although I believe he left this think tank after the Iraq invasion.
ReplyDelete