Blog contribution
After today's lecture on personal rule, I became interested in Kim Jong-un and the potential reasoning behind the killing of his half-brother, Kim Jong-nam.
The website I looked at discussed him being scouted as a replacement, which links to what was said about eliminating potential contestants of power. It reiterates the point from the lecture about Kim Jong-nam being looked into because he would be easier for forces to control.
I think this article is also quite interesting when looking into the chemical weapons that North Korea possesses. Considering it was clear who the attack came from, why were there no consequences for Kim Jong-un? I thought about this question, and what we do know is that highly personalised regimes are more likely to look into nuclear weapons, and although this was a chemical weapon, I think this is likely to apply still as there is little to no constraint which would explain why there was no direct punishment after the confirmation of who the attack came from.
Even though the article I looked at is a few years old I found it really interesting heres the link :)
No comments:
Post a Comment