As we talked about military dictatorships and coups in this weeks lecture it made me think about the Chilean coup which happened coming up 51 years ago on the 11th of September. We have previously gone over this briefly in past lectures regarding Pinochet and his role which is why I was interested to look more into it for this weeks post. I looked into a couple articles that summarise the general path that lead up to the coup that overthrew the current President elect at the time, Salvador Allende, as well as an article which briefly explains Pinochet’s rise to power and the long-term affects that came from his dictatorship that Chile endured such as the end of their democratic rule and the beginning of a military one lasting 17 years. The Chilean coup is an example of a coup that was led by a military insider as Pinochet who initiated the coup was the leader of this operation and was assisted by both military personal and police leaders throughout it. Both the articles I came across are worth a read so I’ve linked them below if you’re interested.
Source: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1969-1976/allende
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/pinochet/overview.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment