Throughout my time at university I feel like I have never had a satisfactory definition of what fascism is. It is always referred to with reference to Nazism, Mussolini and totalitarianism but that has always seemed to be where the definition ends. Obviously, it is a difficult concept to adequately define simply as it the fascist project differs so much between different states, but I've never properly understood what it actually is and what the characteristics are. Considering it is one of the most extreme examples of non-democratic politics I wouldn't expect this to be the case. Or perhaps it is so extreme it is just taken as a given what it is.
I found this video today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4CLtUHD6g which I found to be a helpful explanation.
The video explains that because hyper-nationalism is a core tenant of Fascism it makes it difficult to explain as it obviously differs between countries. Due to this an extreme ideological goal is characteristic of these projects. However unlike other utopian concepts such as communism there is no end goal other than vague ideas of a nations greatness.
No comments:
Post a Comment